22 August 2001
ramBunctious 1.6.2 includes several bug fixes:
- Some RAM-only RAM disks would write out large data files to the hard drive. This was corrected.
- Colored themes are now enabled for RAM disk settings window.
- Fixed conflicts with a couple third party utilities to eliminate cosmetic problems.
- Other miscellaneous cosmetic fixes.
18 July 2001
- Progress Dialogs for lengthy operations.
- Using Navigation Services for creating and opening RAM disks.
- Default name of new disk image files end in a ".ramb" extension.
- Appearance Manager friendly.
- Application is now purely native PowerPC since we require MacOS 8.6.
- Get Info dialog in Finder on a mounted RAM disk now shows better information.
- When creating RAM disks larger than 32MB in size, HFS+ is the default format to save space.
- Fixed a bug where skipping startup items by holding down the shift key when mounting was broken under Mac OS 9.1.
- After a user reformatted a RAM disk, the color icon was lost. This is now fixed.
- Balloon help was updated to explain the blue icon status.
- Added the custom folder icon back for this release.
The changes in ramBunctious 1.5 include:
- Added some performance optimizations for those last few percentage points of throughput.
- More appealing "LED" access indicator.
- Updated periodic-save interval interface.
The changes in ramBunctious 1.3.2 include:
- Support for Mac OS 9 was added to ramBunctious. This is a required upgrade for users of Mac OS 9 and optional for users of previous versions of the Mac OS.
The changes in ramBunctious 1.3.1 include:
- The default filename for the startup items alias is now double-checked for the correct length.
- Initial zeros are now always written to the image file.
- The appearance (including icons and the splash screen) has been overhauled.
ramBunctious 1.3 is our registrant's request release. Each feature was specifically requested by a registered user. As an acknowledgement of the importance of our registered users, we took some of the most commonly-requested features and implemented them to reward registered users:
- ramBunctious can now be fully controlled by AppleScript! There are several sample scripts to give examples of using ramBunctious via this powerful interface.
- A RAM-only checkbox is available when creating RAM disks, so no space is necessary on the hard drive for the image file.
- ramBunctious now remembers the name of the RAM disk volume, even when it's RAM-only.
- The documentation display mechanism has been significantly improved.
- Save RAM disk contents at timed intervals.
- Performance enhanced up to 30% through a judicious balance of 68K assembly and native PPC code.
- MacOS 8 popup menu update glitch fixed.
- New, smoother busy cursors.
- Enhanced various driver attributes:
- Finder does not present a misleading dialog when putting the RAM disk away.
- Worked around a MacOS 8 bug which caused RAM disks to be un-put-away-able.
- Better information when "Get Info" is performed on a RAM disk.
- Worked around ATA driver (IDE bus) bug that caused a crash under System 7.6.1 by blowing up the stack when creating large RAM disks. By doing large FSWrites as a series of smaller FSWrites, we don't encounter the ATA driver bug.
- Fixed a balloon help inconsistency.
- Put Away menu item added.
- Several bugs were identified and worked around or fixed.
- Improved data integrity for RAM disk creation, and force-quitting the application.
- Miscellaneous user-interface enhancements, including a Save menu item and a Save Now button.
- Popup menu added for common RAM disk sizes.
- Improved performance.
- Improved error reporting.
- Added communication capability with Peek-a-Boo to indicate RAM disk memory usage -- size and location in the Process Manager Heap.
- Added support for a "startup items" folder on the RAM disk.
- Added runtime checks for all known incompatibilities.
- Infinity Windoids now used for the settings windows.
- FAT application.
ramBunctious 1.0: first released version.